Routine Dental Exam Fresno
Routine Dental Exam FresnoIt is important to visit us at least twice a year for a routine dental exam. Fresno patients have peace of mind knowing we will examine both your teeth and also your gums so you can get ahead of tooth decay, gum disease and other health problems.
What to expect during your routine dental exam in Fresno:
- Our dental hygienist will begin to clean your teeth by scraping hard mineral buildup (tartar) off your teeth with a small metal tool. Then they will floss your teeth, use a polishing compound, and apply fluoride. After they're finished, your teeth will feel smooth and clean. And they will sparkle.
- If it's your first time with us, we may need to take X-rays. The X-rays take only a few minutes. This will help us to ensure that your teeth are healthy on the inside as well as on the outside.
- We will have you put on a heavy apron to shield your body from X-rays. Everyone else in the room will either wear a protective apron or step behind a protective shield.
- We will have you bite down on a small piece of plastic. This will help align your teeth properly for the machine, and then take a picture of your teeth. We will repeat this process several times to get pictures of all your teeth.
- If needed, We will put a sealant on the chewing surface of your back teeth to help prevent cavities. Sealants keep food and bacteria from getting stuck in the rough chewing surfaces or grooves of your teeth, and they protect your teeth from plaque.
Prone to Infections?If you are prone to infections, you may need to take antibiotics before you have any dental work, including a routine dental exam. This includes people who:
- Have heart valve problems, which put you at risk for endocarditis.
- Have an impaired immune system.
- Have had recent major surgeries or have man-made body parts, such as an artificial hip or heart valve.