What are the Most Common Dental Problems?February 21, 2022
5 Reasons to Choose a Dentist for BracesApril 7, 2022
Do I Really Need to Floss?
We love the question that so many people ask — do I really need to floss? — because sometimes the answer is yes, but sometimes the answer is no.
First, let’s look at when the answer is no …
You Don’t Really Need to Floss When …
Some situations with your teeth may make flossing unnecessary. Some examples include:
- if you have gaps between your teeth that are so large that flossing is ineffective
- if you have missing teeth
- if you have certain complex dental work and your dentist has advised you not to floss that area
- if you have dentures
- if you have certain orthodontics, such as braces
However, just because flossing may be ineffective in some of these situations, you still need to remove the plaque that builds up on your teeth and gums.
When flossing isn’t recommended, there are other methods of cleaning in between your teeth. Some that you should ask your dentist about are soft picks, interdental brushes, and water flossing.
Yes, You Really Need to Floss If …
On the other hand, flossing can be the best way to clean dangerous plaque buildup from in between your teeth in these situations:
- you have teeth that are close to each other
- you have teeth that are overlapping or jammed tightly together
- you want to avoid cavities and gum disease
- you want to avoid bleeding, painful, and/or receding gums
- you want to minimize bad breath
- you want to keep your teeth as long as possible
Daily flossing is an inexpensive way to avoid costly and painful issues with your teeth and gums that come from not removing the plaque and bacteria on all surfaces of your teeth. If you’re not going to use regular waxed string floss, you need to talk to your dentist about the alternative methods listed above.
By whatever method you and your dentist agree is best for you, it’s critical to remove the plaque buildup from in between your teeth where brushing can’t reach.
Need to Schedule an Appointment?
Call us at (559) 299-2168 or send us a message to schedule an appointment with Dr. Lovik Mirzaeian today!
We're here to help you maintain healthy teeth and gums to protect your beautiful smile.